The “Positive Disruption: Transformation Revolution” has accelerated
The "Positive Disruption: AI Revolution" has accelerated
In this lighthouse report, Uma Challa, senior director of Gartner's Customer Service and Support practice, provides a concise overview of the potential impact of generative AI on customer service and support. Challa presents 10 relevant facts that illustrate the current state of generative AI in customer service, as well as the potential benefits and risks of this technology.
Fact 1. While the latest advances in generative AI, including OpenAI’s ChatGPT and Google Bard, have propelled the technology forward, they can’t be compared to human agency.
Fact 2. The hype around workforce reduction needs to be quelled. As we stated earlier, Gartner predicts that investment in generative AI will lead to a 20-30% reduction in customer service and support agents by 2026, but not a wholesale shuttering of the live customer service function. Here’s why:
- Fact 3. Generative AI is still not advanced enough to demonstrate human-like agency. It can be applied effectively to act as an assistant to service agents, automate recurring tasks, resolve low-complexity issues or perform specific tasks the generative AI model is trained on, but it cannot take on the complex issues that require human judgment to resolve.
- Fact 4. Customer service organizations can’t wake up one day and decide to implement generative AI. Depending on the type of investment, it could take a few months or even a few years to adopt the technology depending on many factors such as access, language model type and risk management, which brings us to the third reason.
- Fact 5. The use of generative AI comes with significant risks, such as exposure of sensitive data, inaccuracy (hallucinations) and bias in responses, which can be damaging to the brand and will prevent broader application of the technology near-term.
Fact 6. The use of generative AI in customer service and support is not limited to virtual agents. It has many other applications, including the ability to generate content, provide content utility functions, such as text summarization, formatting and translations, and other special purpose use cases, such as agent assistance or case summarization.
Fact 7. By initially focusing on improving the agent experience and productivity internally, service and support leaders can reap the benefits of generative AI while managing the risks.
Fact 8. Initially, leaders should invest in generative AI capabilities that help reps better serve the customer. More specifically, the generative AI use cases with the highest ROI are ones that provide reps with context around the customer, product and interaction, as well as guidance on how to best solve the customer's issue.
Fact 9. In fact, our recent research shows that reps whose technology provides them with context and guidance tend to perform better than those without these capabilities.
Fact 10. It’s reasonable for customer service employees to be worried about the impact of AI. This worry has an impact - our research shows that when customer service reps worry that technology will replace them, attrition actually gets worse. In fact, reps who are very worried about being replaced by technology are 84% more likely to be actively looking for a new job than those who aren’t worried.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Bing Chatbot's Summary about Gartner
Gartner is a leading research and advisory company that provides actionable insights, advice, and tools for leaders in IT, finance, HR, customer service, and support1. Founded in 1979, Gartner has over 15,000 employees in 100 countries and is a publicly-traded company on the New York Stock Exchange2. Gartner delivers actionable, objective insight to executives and their teams. Their expert guidance and tools enable faster, smarter decisions and stronger performance on an organization’s mission-critical priorities1.
g-f(2)1234: The Juice of Golden Knowledge
Some relevant characteristics of this "genioux Fact"
- NUGGET KNOWLEDGE
- Category 2: The Big Picture of the Digital Age
- The Lighthouse of the Big Picture of the Digital Age
- The "Positive Disruption: AI Revolution" has accelerated
- The internal title
- g-f(2)1234 Generative AI: The Lighthouse for Customer Service
- [genioux fact deduced or extracted from geniouxfacts + Gartner + Bard + Bing Chatbot]
- This is a “genioux fact fast solution.”
- Tag "GkPath" highway
- GKPath is the highway where there is no speed limit to grow.
- GkPath is paved with blocks of GK.
- "genioux facts", the online program on "MASTERING THE BIG PICTURE OF THE DIGITAL AGE”, builds The Golden Knowledge Path (GKPath) digital freeway to accelerate everyone's success in the digital age.
- Type of essential knowledge of this “genioux fact”: Essential Analyzed Knowledge (EAK).
- Type of validity of the "genioux fact".
- Inherited from sources + Supported by the knowledge of one or more experts.
- Authors of the genioux fact